Mealtime is a particular time in children's lives. They get to enjoy their favorite foods, talk about what they're going to eat, and spend quality time with their parents and caregivers. Spending the day cooking may sound fun for adults, but children would rather be playing or learning something new. The problem is that mealtime can also be quite disappointing for families. After the excitement of cooking goes to waste or turns into an all-out battle, picking up new meal ideas for kids can seem like too much work.
What are some healthy meal ideas for kids?
One great way to get kids to eat nutritiously is by making their meals fun. Try serving up a colorful salad with crunchy nuts, seeds, and beans for a satisfying crunch. Another fun option is grilled chicken or fish topped with fresh vegetables or homemade salsa. And don’t forget about healthy desserts! Try out an easy fruit tart or a creamy and delicious smoothie bowl.
What items should be in a healthy meal for kids?
When planning a healthy meal for your kids, try to include fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and low-fat protein. Here are some ideas to get you started:
- Have a fruit salad as a starter or side dish. Add chopped-up fresh fruit to a mix of chopped nuts or seeds for added protein and fiber.
- Try grilled vegetables as a main course. Choose colorful and varied cuts such as zucchini, yellow squash, peppers, and carrots. Grill them over medium-high heat with a little olive oil or butter for flavor and health benefits.
- Serve oatmeal instead of sugary cereal every morning. Make it with unsweetened almond milk and diced fresh fruit for extra flavor and nutrients.
- For dessert, let your kids choose something healthy like yogurt or granola with skim milk or fruit juice instead of sugary ice cream or cake.
Kids love to snack, and they need healthy snacks too! Here are some ideas for healthy snacks that your kids will love.
1. Fruit snacks:
Tropical fruit bars are a great option because they are high in nutrients and low in sugar.
Buy premade fruit bars or make your own using whole fruit, yogurt, nuts, and honey. Just be sure to include plenty of fresh fruit too!
Try making a fruity trail mix by mixing dried fruits, nuts, and seeds with yogurt or milk as a dipping sauce.
Add diced fruits to yogurt or smoothies for added sweetness and dietary fiber.
Keep a stash of homemade fruit bars in the fridge for when your child feels hungry but doesn’t want something heavy.
2. Veggie sticks:
Veggie sticks are a great way to get kids to eat their vegetables. They can be dipped in hummus, salsa, or peanut butter for an extra boost of nutrients and flavor.
Make your veggie sticks by slicing vegetables into thin strips and dipping them into whatever sauce you like
Looking for healthy drink ideas for kids? Here are five that are perfect for the whole family.
1) Fruit juice with no added sugar
2) Water with lemon or lime
3) Low-fat milk and yogurt
4) Fruit smoothies made with fresh fruit, skim milk, and ice cubes
5) Unsweetened plantain or banana milk
Kids love breakfast, so why not make it healthy? Here are some healthy breakfast ideas for kids:
Scrambled eggs with fresh vegetables and whole-grain toast
Oatmeal with fresh fruit and nuts
Baked eggs with roasted vegetables and whole-grain toast
Tropical smoothie bowl with fresh fruit and nuts
Comment, Like, and Share, please!
Disclosure: This article contains affiliate links. We might earn a commission when you click on the links and make a purchase from Amazon.